Why Newspapers shouldn’t allow comments

In which the writer pulls memorable comments from the NYT site such as this as proof of her thesis:

“if he wasn’t a reporter for the new york times, would we be reading this?”

“Monetizing your shameful past is disgusting. Haven’t you harmed your loved ones enough for one lifetime?”

I totally agree. Newspapers are allowing far too much conversation. And though only 5% of it is trash – that outweighs the other 95%. In fact – on that basis I now believe that because of this one ill-informed column newspapers (and Web sites) should not allow columnists. It just isn’t worth it!