If you like New England and you like digital media you have come to the right place. The Telegraph is hiring a Managing Editor / Online upon my departure on August 4. I will let the job posting below generally speak for itself but I have been here for 5 years and have loved every day of it.
The Telegraph has been named one of the best papers in New England for at least the past 5 or 6 years and we have done some great work in reader engagement, multimedia, enterprise reporting and community development during that time.
The staff and management of the paper buys into a Web-first approach and they are looking for a Managing Editor who is a good journalist and a digital innovator to take them to the next level.
Contact info is at the bottom of the listing but feel free to email me directly if you have questions about the position.
Managing Editor Online
Telegraph Publishing Company and its affiliate, the Cabinet Press, seek an online editor with a strong background in journalism, a thorough understanding of Internet technology, and proven leadership ability to help continue the transformation of our news organization in the digital age.
In addition to The Telegraph, of Nashua, N.H., (circ. 25,000, daily), the company also produces four weekly newspapers along with multiple niche publications and Web sites. The online editor is responsible for editorial content and presentation of NashuaTelegraph.com, Cabinet,com, and the company’s niche Web sites such as FeastNH.com, EncoreBuzz.com and TelegraphNeighbors.com.
The successful candidate will have at least five years of newsroom experience as a reporter or editor, and must be familiar and comfortable with the conventions of community journalism and the operation of a small daily newspaper. The online editor coordinates content, projects and communication between newsroom and digital media teams.
He/she must also:
- Understand online content, revenue models and strategies; lead our community and audience development efforts and play a lead role in the implementation of our social media strategies.
- Be familiar with all facets of publishing process from story pitch to publication in multiple media on multiple platforms including print, web and mobile.
- Develop work flows and training plans to facilitate publication of news, videos and photos to multiple digital platforms.
- Be immersed in the trends inside and outside the news industry that impact digital publication and audience development.
- Be comfortable working with print and digital vendors, including writing product specifications, project management and contract review and negotiations.
- Assist in building a newsroom technology strategy that supports mobile journalism capabilities for reporting and photo staffers.
- Assist in daily news coverage discussions and decisions and make independent judgments that serve both print and online coverage needs.
- Monitor metrics for all Telegraph sites and develop relevant business and content reports and strategies.
- Serve as a member of the Telegraph Editorial Board and contribute one editorial per month.
This is a salaried, management position; compensation commensurate with experience.
Interested applicants should apply via email to Executive Editor Dave Solomon, email@example.com, with “online editor” in the subject line.
No phone calls please.